Kathryn Lee Reily, a relative of 1982 King of Carnival, William Boatner Reily, III, became Queen of Carnival in 2002 [1-3].
Boatner Reily III was a major contributor to Tulane University , Vice Chairman of its Board of Administrators , co-chairman of its 1994 $250 million fundraising campaign , and the recipient, in 1995, of an honorary LL.D. (Doctor of Laws) degree .
The Reily ascension to royalty is well earned. The Reily Family Foundation contributed $34 million to Tulane University Hospital and Clinic for construction of the Reily Foundation Pavilion which opened in 1991 [8,9], and it helped build the Reily Student Recreation Center .
All toast the Queen!
References and Notes
- "The party begins," The Times-Picayune, February 12, 2002, p. A-1.
- "Queen Katy," ibid., p. E-1.
- "Round of revelry," The Times-Picayune, February 17, 2002, p. E-1.
- Report of the President, 1993-1994, Tulane Office of Institutional Advancement, p. 38.
- "Board of Administrators," Tulane Faculty/Staff Directory, 80-81, p. 32.
- Partnerships, Summer 1994, Tulane Office of Institutional Advancement.
- Partnerships, Fall 1995, Tulane Office of Institutional Advancement.
- "General Information," www.sph.tulane.edu/general.htm (accessed March 4, 2002).
- Although Tulane University Hospital and Clinic was constructed largely through private philanthropy (the Jack Aron Pavilion opened in 1976 ), Tulane sold an 80% share of the health care facility to HCA/Columbia in 1995 for $132 million .
- Despite its name, membership in the Reily "Student" Center is available to the public for $900 a year while students and faculty are assessed at rates of about $200 and $300, respectively . Except for Tulane's tax exemption, the Reily Center appears to operate similarly to other health clubs. It also hosts commerical health plans such as Humana, Inc.
- "Tulane Department of Surgery," www.som.tulane.edu/departments/surgery/chairman/default.html (accessed March 4, 2002).
- "Tulane-HCA partnership gets tax bill," The Times-Picayune, June 7, 2002, p. C-8.
- "Tulane University Reily Student Recreation Center Membership Fee Schedule," www.tulane.edu/~camprec/text/membership/fee1.html (accessed March 4, 2002).